Galactic Magnate logo  

Forums Home Register FAQ Website  

Forums home Forum Rules and Game Rules Should stalling be punished? Penality guidelines poll
      All times are GMT  

Should stallers be punished?
Yes, continue to punish by the current guidelines
58%
 58%  [ 10 ]
Yes, but I feel changes should be made to guidelines (please post suggestions)
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
No, Stalling should not be punished
35%
 35%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 17

Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:03 pm
trace567

Post subject: Should stalling be punished? Penality guidelines poll Reply with quote

It is a unfortunate fact that stalling is very difficult to be proved. There has been occasions where no penalty was issued for stalling, but that players just posted a report on forum to alert others.

So the question is, should we punish stallers?

Poll will run for 30 days.

Current guidelines on stalling

Quote:
Stalling

1st offence warning
2nd offence warning
3rd offence ban (straight to medium 15 days)

Stalling warnings will be reset after 6 months. Aim is to locate and remove persistent/deliberate stallers only and not to ban innocent users.

When chat log proves deliberate stalling:

1st ban 5 days
2nd ban 15 days
3rd ban 30 days
4th Ban 100 days to max

However, if there are frequent signs in chat log of stalling games deliberately, ban will be taken to higher level immediately.

Last edited by trace567 on Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:59 pm; edited 2 times in total

Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:59 pm
princeofpersia1992
Ex Moderator

Post subject: Reply with quote

personally i don't like people stall at end of the game when they are loosing and all but i guess its not a big deal to wait a few mins to win a game and let the sore loosers take their time to see them die more slowly lol

and also not a 100% efficient way to proove that anyone is stalling so i will vote for no punishment for stalling

Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:30 pm
ranban282
Ex Moderator

Stalling is irritating, is an example of childish behaviour, and demonstrates poor sportsmanship. But banning would be overdoing it. However, stallers will sooner rather than later do something else wrong, and then their stalling could count against them.

Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:32 pm
trace567

I am thinking that if the poll came out as don't punish, we could have a thread as a sticky in complaints for users to post names of people who stalled. This way users can see if they wish a list, equally if a players name were posted there that player can always post in defence should they of had a connection issue, etc etc.

Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:55 am
fingerbun
Planet

I have not voted yet.

How do you prove someone is stalling. Some of these GM nazis often accuse me of stalling when all I am doing is doing some quick calculations.

It takes around 20 seconds and in close games I may do it 2 or 3 times. I am told I will be reported but I dont think anyone has reported me yet.

Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:22 pm
trace567

fingerbun wrote:
I have not voted yet.

How do you prove someone is stalling.

Well with great difficulty in all honesty. I can't speak for other mods here, but I will tell you my method.
First of course its just warnings, but if someone reports someone stalling I check the chat log because it can show if the reported made any mention in the game of this, or if the other player made any comment. So I would basically be looking for evidence to support that the player did stall, or didn't, or did so but not intentionally. Depending on this I either give a warning or not. Also I cross reference times from the player asking the other to roll or such and the time the game ended. A full clock is 295 secs, but a dc will generally boot a person out faster than a full clock, but that method only works if someone stalls out the end of a game completely and if I have a chat comment time to cross ref with.

If we get to the 3rd occasion before a ban I check the chat for unreported incidences also to try and get a picture as best as possible of what is going on to reduce the chance of banning an innocent user.

I do recall one time I banned someone a lengthy time as they were stalling in practically every game, by doing housework! I spoke to them asking they don't play when they cannot give GM their time properly to play, they said they wouldn't do this so I ended up banning after a lengthy debate on why it was unfair to make everyone wait in their games so they could clean the dishes etc.

Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:42 am
fingerbun
Planet

Whats this members name? She can wash my dishes..

Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:44 pm
trace567

Poll duration increased as again only 1 vote in it.

Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:18 pm
DonKill3r
Asteroid

Post subject: VOTE Reply with quote

THE TIMER IS THERE TO DECIDE UPON A TIME THAT A PLAYER HAS TO PLAY HIS GAME. I VOTE NO TO THIS!!!

However a good idea would be to decrease the timer so that players cannot n will not stall the game.

I think a player shuld be allowed to play in his own time & not someone elses.

NO TO THE VOTE!

Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:04 pm
trace567

Post subject: Re: VOTE Reply with quote

DonKill3r wrote:
THE TIMER IS THERE TO DECIDE UPON A TIME THAT A PLAYER HAS TO PLAY HIS GAME. I VOTE NO TO THIS!!!

However a good idea would be to decrease the timer so that players cannot n will not stall the game.

I think a player shuld be allowed to play in his own time & not someone elses.

NO TO THE VOTE!

Sorry donkilla have a feeling you were unable to cast a vote as the poll times had expired. I've now set all 3 polls to no end date. I will close polls when 20 votes have been cast, unless there is not a majority for one option.

Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:42 am
MrCrabbs

Sometimes it's very blatant. Most current mods are sensible enough to tell when.

Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:39 pm
theunknownamus

I personally could not care less.