Galactic Magnate logo  

Forums Home Register FAQ Website  

Forums home Galactic Magnate Strategy Luck vs Skill
      All times are GMT  

Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:05 pm
HHHfan
Moon

Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, just to weigh in on this thing, it really doesnt matter what you own, if nobody hits it, you lose. example, i lost a game in which i had brown (full upgrades) black, and two whites, my opponent had 2 whites, now, if your opponent does not land on your stuff, and you land on theirs all the time, no matter how petty it is, or if it can take your money, you lose, period. skill has a little to do with it, i mean, you can break your opponent and all, making anything you want easy access, but you still have to hit said stuff while ur opponent is still broke, or its all for not! you can own green and pink with full grades and lose, been there done that a couple times! basically, if the dice and horseshoes dont cooperate, u can own it all, and still lose!

Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:50 am
princeofpersia1992
Ex Moderator

In 2p I go with 49%skill 51% luck
In 3p 60%skill 30%luck and rest on trades
In 4-5 however 20%skill 60%luck and rest on trades

Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:09 pm
theunknownamus

princeofpersia1992 wrote:

This seems quite accurate. Kudos. Smile

Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:37 am
Bleu_Soul
Planetoid

"Luck" is luck, that is to say purely random chance that can only be described in terms of generally how "often" it happens, that seems to go in one's favor, and nothing else. And, the only part of this game that consists of pure and simple chance is the dice (to some extent, anyway, because all random number generators in computers use algorithms, but whatever), unless otherwise you would like to get into a philosophical discussion about whether or not anything is certain, including our choices.

"Strategy" is a different animal. And in essence, what it boils down to, and all that it can ever be is the trainer that puts a harness upon the wild, uncontrollable beast that is luck. Life, like everything else, is just one big GM game of luck, and the only thing you can do about it to have any reasonable hope of succeeding is to somehow place the odds in your favor. This is what we call your approach to a given situation, or your "strategy."

That said, it is only possible to ever have a game based mostly upon strategy if you are good at it. In such a view, how much of a game depends on luck or strategy is based solely upon the skill of the player, and thus varies with every given game, which of course means one cannot assign a true fixed value or percentage to the question of how much of the outcome of a game relies upon strategy or luck.

Generally though, since the use of strategy minimizes the effect of luck, if one is skilled at the use of strategy, then the end result in any match in which that person participates would in fact be born out of strategy.

Thus, in an arbitrarily assigned percentage, I would say that for a good player, every game is about 70% skill and 30% luck.

Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:22 pm
fingerbun
Planet

princeofpersia1992 wrote:

Not sure I agree with this! Especially with the two player format. Two player is the purest form the game. I would more tilt the skill/luck balance to 80% skill, 20% luck. For the accounts I take seriously I have the following stats.

the_peoples_poet 20 games- 17 wins: 85% win ratio

fingers 23 games- 20 wins: 86% win ratio

the fingerbang 43 games 32 wins: 74% win ratio

sultan of swing 70 games- 52 wins: 74% win ratio

bang 37 games- 29 wins: 78% win ratio

These are not all my accounts, I have others. But the other accounts I use when I have a spare 30 min or so and just want to waste some time. Many of these games I am forced to quit (because I am at work). The above accounts I only use when I am 100% certain I can complete the game without any distractions.

So you see, luck is a small part. I average around 78% win ratio when I try. If your theory was correct, that figure would be much lower.