Galactic Magnate logo  

Forums Home Register FAQ Website  

Forums home Galactic Magnate Strategy Going for second.
      All times are GMT  

Is it unfair? (see condition in side)
Yes
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
No
62%
 62%  [ 10 ]
Maybe
25%
 25%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 16

Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:11 pm
princeofpersia1992
Ex Moderator

Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope I don't feel there's any problem just going fr 2nd in muti p I always try go fr 2nd if I know 1st position off reach or even smtime I will try to make a trade which will make other guy win and me cming 2nd if I know I will loose without a trade SmileSmile

Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:34 pm
trace567

If a player has 100% clear 1st with there being no possible way he/she can ever drop to 2nd (this usually only applies in the last part of the game, during ec when the game has clear shape to it) then trading with them would be considered a cheat trade, as the player in 1st cannot possibly gain a higher end rank, whilst their trade with you may mean you grab a higher rank. They have no end rank reason to trade with you, therefore it is considered cheating.

All the time their position is not a concrete 1st trading is fair and reasonable to do. Even if this then insures they gain 1st, and you increase your chances of a better end rank. It is sometimes necessary to give another 1st in order to gain yourself 2nd, or 3rd.

For instance, say a player gained green early in multi, this doesn't actually mean they will gain 1st. Later in the game it may become very apparent that there is just no possible way to beat the player. But early on, if a player were to manage to get cyan and red upgraded their income would whilst being practically equal, with double land covered actually be a better odds for 1st.

So going for 2nd is not a problem, and can be a very good way especially in 5 player, as 2nd would usually result in winning points not losing any. But trading with a 100% clear 1st player is by definition classed as a cheat trade. This would usually carry a borderline judgement resulting in 25% reduction in points.

Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:55 am
Bleu_Soul
Planetoid

I dunno, but I think this might have referred to a game I was recently in. =) But I'll still share my own view.

I don't think it is actually wrong for someone aiming for second to hitch a trade with the clear first place player in order to gain the advantage, so long as they are not in cahoots to team and boost their own ratings. If the other players did not think to trade with the first place person to do so themselves, then too bad, that's their fault.

HOWEVER, the thing is, it's always very hard to tell whether or not the two people are teaming or not. Even if they had not planned it out in the beginning, the first place person may favor one player or another for whatever reason, simply because they had taken a liking to them or the other person had saved them in the past. And that is the definition of cheating, if one person is clearly favoring one player over another, thus giving an unfair advantage to the recipient of whatever trade/help there might have been given.

That said, such trades should always be avoided, because people are always biased in one way or another towards others unless you are just totally unfeeling. I'm also a hypocrite here, since I know I've done that a couple times quite willingly, once because I thought it would make no difference, and once because I just really didn't like a guy.

Hope that made sense.

Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:36 pm
-Legend-

i recently just finished a game that works in favor of playing for 2nd.

There was a clear first place in a 4 player game...
he had cyan and yellow upgraded and started to get cash consistently his only competition was 4 whites by 1 player and 4 blacks by another..
He also owned 1 green.. i had 2 green 1 purple and 1 orange and about 7k in cash...

recession was closing in and after many trade attempts for the green or purple i realized no trading was going to occur especially any that were reasonable..

the other 2 players were both much lower in cash than me and i feared a long game might be ahead where thier whites or blacks might income more than my cash.

I auctioned both greens the purple and orange... even tho i had spent roughly 2400 on the 4 pieces i let them go for 360 to the guy in first place.

He eventually upgraded them and made the game end much quicker, My cash dwindled but managed to snag a 2nd whereas i was more likely to finish 3rd or 4th without the green in play.

I am all for doing whatever u have to do to boost your position in the game.

Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:28 pm
trace567

-Legend- wrote:

I auctioned both greens the purple and orange... even tho i had spent roughly 2400 on the 4 pieces i let them go for 360 to the guy in first place.

So you made a loss on the auction in credit value alone!
I can see where your getting at with green being in play the game became more one of chance and luck than anything else, so you luckily came 2nd.
Can't say I personally condone the auction, as you made a loss there:
200 credit x 2 for green, 50 orange and 50 purple = 500 credit

you auctioned for 360
360-20% = 288

Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:10 pm
-Legend-

the reason i basically gave the green away. was because if the game would of been long my lack of income would of came into play and probably got me 4th.

Where as with the green in play my cash helped me ride out the shorter much bumpier ride while the other 2 struggled to stay afloat...
Because they both had 4 whites and 4 blacks the longer they are alive the more chance i am of being last.... so bringing the green in basically shortened the whole game meaning my cash that i had was worth more.

If i would of had any type of income or any possibility to trade and maybe go for first or 2nd with property income i would have.. but that option never presented itself and so instead of dwindling away slowly i changed the stakes and it worked in my favor boosting my rank.

with only cyan and yellow black and white the game could have lasted 90 minutes.

with the cyan yellow green white and black the game ended in under 50.

Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:54 pm
trace567

I do get what you mean legend, I guess I just worry it could be miss used as a strategy. Its the ex mod in me Laughing I mean you auctioned the property and it went to the already winner anyway, so it didn't unfairly advance them at all. It just threw the game open for the rest of the players ranks. I'm only thinking it could easily be miss used is all, so whilst under certain conditions it can be a good advancing method, if miss used it would in theory break the auction rules (but I don't wanna go in to that lol)

Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:59 pm
-Legend-

I was quite suprised it went for so cheap...
the purple was in the auction and would have given the whites another set... but no1 wanted it and hence it went for so cheap...
I was not going to bid on mu action and rebuy the property ^.^

Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:18 pm
MrCrabbs

This strategy, of deliverately shortening the game when you are cash rich but propert poor, sounds like a very good one to be honest.

Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:31 pm
theunknownamus

Blasphemy!

Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:48 am
MrCrabbs

Quite the opposite. The rules are crystal clear, that players are to try to enhance their ranking.

One is almost obliged to use this strategy!

Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:56 pm
theunknownamus

Then I am a heretic. Crucify me. Mr. Green