Galactic Magnate logo  

Forums Home Register FAQ Website  

Forums home Questions & Suggestions quicken endings with doubling die
      All times are GMT  

Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:55 pm
hoskinsdan
Planetoid

Post subject: quicken endings with doubling die Reply with quote

Backgammon has a device, the doubling die, that affects strategy in wager games. If a player gets an advantage, she uses the doubling die to double the amount of the wager. The player at a disadvantage has the option of accepting, and continuing the game with double the stakes from his disadvantaged position, or resigning the game and paying the wager.

In GM, we wager our points. If we had a doubling die, a player could double the point stakes if she was in the advantage. The other player or players would have the option of resigning on the original terms, (how points granted and charged for winning and losing ordinarily works,) or continuing the game knowing that the final points charged or granted will be doubled.

If one player has already doubled the stakes and that has been accepted, the privilege of doubling again belongs only to the other player, or players.

This would shorten games by making it expensive to keep rolling on a hopeless position, (perhaps in the hope of the leader getting a disconnect.) The player in a clearly weak position would have incentive to resign, rather than have the size of their point loss doubled by staying in the game.

For GM, I would suggest the doubling die not be available to anyone until into the game a bit, say when start salary has declined to 120 or so.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:11 pm
MrCrabbs

Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a really cool idea.

Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:33 pm
NewMagnate
Moon

Thank you for the suggestion.
May I ask other players opinion? What do you think about this?
Could this suggestion destroy the intrigue?

Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:58 pm
trace567

In honesty I am not certain I fully understand this suggestion. However if I understand it right I would personally not be in favour of it. For starters the new version won't simply be about points, but also coins. Could this lead to point/coin hungry players trying to take advantage of a less skilled/knowledgeable player?

Whilst it can be frustrating for people when they are in a very clear win situation and the other player refuses to give up, simply the fact that there will be less dc issues (hopefully) should help knock some sense into those who continue well belong any point of even luck swinging the result.
Often you can be in a game and 1 spin of bad luck, or 1 not so bright move can make or break you at the end. I believe all players should have the right to play on until they see fit to resign.

That said, maybe some other solution could be brought forward to help counteract these situations when someone rolls and rolls and rolls when it is clearly completely impossible for them to win 1st place.
Perhaps some kind of medal system or something to establish them as a decent player who gracefully gives up. But don't confuse those who have "some" hope and play on with those who have simply zero hope at all.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:51 am
MrCrabbs

trace567 wrote:
In honesty I am not certain I fully understand this suggestion. However if I understand it right I would personally not be in favour of it. For starters the new version won't simply be about points, but also coins. Could this lead to point/coin hungry players trying to take advantage of a less skilled/knowledgeable player?

I thought we were having a fixed fee to play? ie: No betting on coins, except possibly as an optional extra at both players' discretion.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:09 am
molecule
Planet

Post subject: WHERE IS THE GALAXY Reply with quote

This change looks pretty major, what about the pictures for the players that really enjoy a good science-fantasy game. While it is still called magnate the galactic part seems to be missing. I think part of the problem is that alot of complaints happen but no one posts or blogs about how much they really like the old version even with its faults. i have heard opinions that the new game is not designed for adults and that someday in the future charging players may become an issue. Im not saying that it may not be worth it, or that it wouldnt be an enjoyable game, I am just asking if it would be possible to keep this game and forum as maybe GalacticClassic, a game that is looked forward to being played, a game sincerly enjoyed by many, a place where friends and rivals alike meet, both with a passion for this game and its unique style of gameplay. or will this version be totally out of existence? i thought the original idea was to fix the bugs, not totally refashion and rename the cards. The examples i can find look like they would be very compatable for a phone or small device, but a little oversimplifide for desktop play. my suggestion would be if it matters to keep GM as it is and go ahead with the new magnate and let players transition as they would please, giving the players the choice to play either classic or new, depending on their needs and preference.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:52 pm
MrCrabbs

^ Off-topic ^