Total Votes : 16

Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:10 pm
chakde7605
Planetoid

Post subject: THE DISCON THING IS IRRITATING Reply with quote

hi guys.
i know you have heard this one before.
a lot of times.
postin this cause i have been discon 3 times in a row.
without getting a fair game in.
twice it was before the econ was above 270, including once when i was supposed to have selected my symbol.
once when the econ was at 240.
3 times in a row is tough.
one of the mods------- toyster was also in the game, the one which eneded for me even before starting.
cause of this my rating has fallen from 14991 to 10879. 4000 pts, an i wasnt at fault.
i am not worried about the points. shall earn em again.
what i want to know is that is something being done to address issues like this and similar ones?
regard,
pl find a solution. for the games sake.
major
karan bajwa.

Last edited by chakde7605 on Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total

Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:33 pm
johnny
Ex Moderator

Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree...
Even on my better "borrowed" connection, I am still being disconnected.
Today however the whole website and game was all wierd..couldn't even connect to the forum or game..and when I did was d/c after a few minutes and unable to get back on.

Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:26 pm
chakde7605
Planetoid

request all who feel the same as i do to take part in the poll

thank you

Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:52 pm
carrieann06
Star

the server was down today so could be the reason for d/c,

Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:02 am
muffinhead
Planet

Well i voted no because ive never been in a match where i only had dc, but their are some that have that problem all the time. Every time i vs alishba she gets dc. I dont know whether its her internet or where she livs but its a shame never to be in a match. Im sure others are having the same problem so lets hope that this is fixable.

Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:40 am
carrieann06
Star

i also voted no as when i get d/c i can always get it back, ive only had one bad day of bad connection and it was only coz i neeed to reboot my system

Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:13 am
muffinhead
Planet

yes i also seem to get those 10 second dcs, but these days im only getting theem in the looby not in the game. Is that a coincidens or just unlucky

Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:21 pm
aussie
Ex Moderator

i dont gemerally have a problem with d/c...when i do then its very minor

Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:12 pm
Kreso
Game Developer

As I said before, and repeat again, put your modem into bridge mode to get rid of DC (for the most part).

The cause of most disconnects is improper configuration of modem by the user or manufacturer. Most modems come with NAT/proxy mode enabled by factory default, which is incorrect by internet protocol specification.

This problem doesn't manifest itself with most Internet applications which are insensitive to this misconfiguration (like web, email etc). But online multiplayer strategies (like Galactic Magnate, Warcraft 3, Warhammer 40000 etc...) are highly sensitive and will disconnect the player when misconfiguration results in an error.

What makes the application sensitive is connection length. For Galactic Magnate, you need 60 minute connection to play an average game. For browsing the web, you web browser connects to web server for 2-3 seconds, until the page is loaded, and then disconnects. The likelihood of being disconnected in 2 seconds is low, and if the disconnect occurs, most users just hit the 'reload' button automatically without even noticing.

Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:01 pm
Bill2k06
Ex Moderator

im sure you have said ths many a time kreso.
but thank you for re-issuing these instructions

Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:12 pm
trace567

Post subject: Bumping Post Reply with quote

Bumping this post up as I believe it maybe beneficial to users who experience repeated dc's which are not through our sever.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:48 pm
theunknownamus

Kreso wrote:
As I said before, and repeat again, put your modem into bridge mode to get rid of DC (for the most part).

The cause of most disconnects is improper configuration of modem by the user or manufacturer. Most modems come with NAT/proxy mode enabled by factory default, which is incorrect by internet protocol specification.

This problem doesn't manifest itself with most Internet applications which are insensitive to this misconfiguration (like web, email etc). But online multiplayer strategies (like Galactic Magnate, Warcraft 3, Warhammer 40000 etc...) are highly sensitive and will disconnect the player when misconfiguration results in an error.

What makes the application sensitive is connection length. For Galactic Magnate, you need 60 minute connection to play an average game. For browsing the web, you web browser connects to web server for 2-3 seconds, until the page is loaded, and then disconnects. The likelihood of being disconnected in 2 seconds is low, and if the disconnect occurs, most users just hit the 'reload' button automatically without even noticing.

This information was quite helpful, but in recent years, most disconnections have been caused by the sever itself, or other incidences out of users' control.