Forums home Entertainment Discussions Top 5 Bands of all time
      All times are GMT  

Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:34 pm
palabra
Ex Moderator

Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Mexico comment made me throw up.

I am leaving this thread.

But not before I can give a major LOL shout out to Earth, Wind, and Fire and Steely Dan. Just gave me a good laugh as I was exiting.

Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:29 am
Yiles
Moon

I gotta agree with Palabra, the Chili Peppers are not one of the best bands of all time. The are basically a rock and roll band with a funk influence- nothing more, nothing less. I can name 5 more influential funk bands off the top of my head- who have the Chili Peppers ever influenced? Not to say that I don't like them, because I think they are okay... I just think if you want to talk funk you have to start with James Brown and the JBs, Parliment/Funkadelic, Kool and The Gang, Eddie Bo, Earth Wind and Fire, Curtis Mayfield, War, The Average White Band, Prince and The Revolution, or Rick James, among others. As far as a rock/funk fusion band goes- there are plenty of those.

Glad I could make you laugh, Palabra! Not sure why you are laughing though- as I am a musician myself and my taste is impeccable.

Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:45 am
palabra
Ex Moderator

I was laughing because I can be ridiculous at times.

I too am an artist, and i appreciate that you are as well.
i just started writing music about two months ago Very Happy

Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:56 am
Magflag12
Moon

shocked with bob marley man, shocked..... marley #1?

RHCP was my wild card, and my underdog for my generation.

Please note that RHCP is not even close to my favorites, its not that I have this opinion because of ym love for them

For instance, Mason (palabra knows) would likely put Relient K as top 5 bands.... which I would giggle at him.

I can see Earth Wind and Fire, I kind of see the direction...

Still in awe over marley.
If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.

Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:04 am
Yiles
Moon

Magflag12 wrote:
shocked with bob marley man, shocked..... marley #1?

Bob Marley and The Wailers are routinely cited as one of the best bands of all-time, and rightly so. Like the Beatles, his music was heavily influenced in the beginning by early American music; in Marley's early work he emulates the Motown R&B acts of the day. But gradually his music gains its own voice and his lyrical content explores deeper into the psychological, political and poetic directions which make him superior to the Beatles, lyrically. As far as the music, the wizardry in creating complex melody and harmony cannot be completely attributed to Marley, he had another musical virtuoso in Peter Tosh by his side, and the rest of the Wailers IMO were just plain better musicians than the Beatles.

While I appreciate the transformation that the Beatles made from pop-rock to psychedelic (and I like their later stuff WAY more)- Marley and the Wailers to me were truer musicians; they rarely relied on studio effects or psyched out synthesizers to create a mood- rather it was the complex wording and use of simple subjects to convey feeling, the rolling bassline, the vocal range of Marley, the driving beat, the harmonic background vocals...

A lot of people get this idea that Bob Marley was just another Bob Dylan (no slouch) who is just this political type act. I happen to own most of Marley's work, and I can assure you, his music is some of the most complex and noteworthy stuff ever done. Different than Hendrix, but just as groundbreaking musically. And while I love what Hendrix did for electric blues guitar and rock and roll, he could not hold Marley's jockstrap when it comes to lyrical content.

Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:20 am
Yiles
Moon

I also noticed some inaccuracies in your earlier post...

You said,

Quote:
I think RHCP is the first legit rock band to incorporate American pop culture, real rock, and good songs since the Beatles

I guess you never heard of the Rolling Stones or Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page?

Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:37 pm
MrCrabbs

Have to agree with Yiles about Bob. There's only one Bob and its Marley, not Dylan.

Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:12 am
Magflag12
Moon

I have contemplated over RHCP and have decided I was foolish to put them on the top 5 greatest rock bands ever...

I have basically replaced them with Pink Floyd which should have been on the list in the first place.

I also moved the beatles up because their influence is undeniable even though I think they were simply a media created entity.
If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.

Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:13 am
Magflag12
Moon

oh and Bob Dylan blow marley out of the water 900% of the time.

Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:25 am
Yiles
Moon

Quote:
oh and Bob Dylan blow marley out of the water 900% of the time.

After watching you attempting to discuss your music preferences in some of your posts, this statement from you doesn't surprise me in the least

Bruce Lee wrote:
“When the opponent expands, l contract. When he contracts, l expand. And when there is an opportunity...l do not hit...it hits all by itself”

Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:16 pm
Magflag12
Moon

LOL! Point taken Yiles.

That really is just a preference for me. Not a big fan of Marley and all that Raggae, but I can appreciate its influence. I do like the song "No Woman No Cry"... Great song.

Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:16 pm
MrCrabbs

Try listening to his Exodus album. It is bloody great, and may just tickle you in the Christian regions.

Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:17 pm
palabra
Ex Moderator

RHCP is gone from your list!

oh no!

Twisted Evil

Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:59 pm
Magflag12
Moon

Hehe... I think I was foolish as I said to put them on the top 5 greatest bands ever.

I will still stand by when I say I believe they are probably the most influential modern rock band other than maybe Pearl Jam, Oasis, OR MAYBE Nirvana. They definately are the only band of those 3 that corporates Rock and Pop culture together as a cohesive unit. I think they have been able to do that and they are talented.

I have made a list of my top 25 favorite bands... has nothing to do with greatness or anything, just bands I ilke to listen to and RHCP was only 20 on that list. Number 1 favorite of mine, at the current moment (i say that because it certainly changes) is Led Zeplin. That is just because I have recently been watching stuff on them.

Anway here is my list.

25. Menomena
24. Homer Hiccolm and the Rocket Boys
23. Incubus
22. Oasis
21. Dave Matthews
20. RHCP
19. Bob Dylan
18. Sound Garden
17. Stone Temp Pilots
16. Billy Joel (odd I know)
15. Casting Crowns
14. Relient K
13. DC TALK
12. The Beatles
11. Counting Crows
10. Lynard Skynard
9. Audioslave
8. Radiohead
7. Metallica
6. Foo Fighters
5. The Verve Pipe
4. Pink Floyd
3. Brand New
2. Caedmon's Call
1. Led Zeplin

Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:54 pm
palabra
Ex Moderator

Now this is a list I can better deal with: a favorites list.

its coming soon.