Galactic Magnate logo  

Forums Home Register FAQ Website  

Forums home Galactic Magnate Strategy Comparing standard monopoly to GM
      All times are GMT  

Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:52 pm
trace567

Post subject: Comparing standard monopoly to GM Reply with quote

Did you know that they reckon Illinois Avenue is the most hit square on standard monopoly?
This is the equivalent to the third Dark Blue on GM. Do you believe that it works this way on GM?

The orange set on standard monopoly are said to gain most hits. This is the equivalent to Cyan on GM. Do you believe the principle is the same for GM's cyan?

On standard monopoly, they say 7 is the most frequently rolled number, due to there being 2 dice with 6 faces. Do you believe that to be true with GM also?

On standard monopoly jail is the most visited square on the board, however its location is different on GM. Standard monopoly jail is where our dormitory is. Do you think the change in position affects these statistics? Or that jail is still the most visited square on the board?

GM has the same number of squares as standard monopoly and equally the same 2 standard dice. It is said that on average it takes a player 5 turns to travel fully around the board. Can the same be said of GM do you think?

Last edited by trace567 on Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:51 pm
judd
Planet

Post subject: Reply with quote

probability states 7 will be the most common number as it has the highest modal average of potential outcomes from throwing two six sided dice.

for that reason and the fact that you go back to start on the purchase of a property, you'd think bonus will be the most hit place and thats why its always positioned at 7 from go.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:19 pm
trace567

judd wrote:
probability states 7 will be the most common number as it has the highest modal average of potential outcomes from throwing two six sided dice.

for that reason and the fact that you go back to start on the purchase of a property, you'd think bonus will be the most hit place and thats why its always positioned at 7 from go

Very true. Although I was just thinking, we do have jail counter (although it doesn't calculate all hits, I think it doesn't count jail from cards). So would be interesting to compare the bonus counter against the jail counters of each player.

Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:54 am
molecule
Planet

while in monopoly orange is set up best tobe hit when leaving jail, on gm green has that advantage.
and Yes i believe that the position of jail does affect number of timesvisited.
I agree that cyan is most hit properties but for a single proprty id take the water extractor, because of returning to start after auction also adding value to orange.
While GM is monopoly based the similarities only go so far, it is much better that evry gets to bid on prop when auctioned, and credit is a nice realistic touch.

Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:17 pm
theunknownamus

Where jail is in GM is normally the space of "Go to Jail" in Monopoly. From experience, I tend to hit the jail space a lot more in Monopoly but do not stay there as I am "Just Visiting" unlike GM where landing puts you in. If one is factoring how much they actually get in jail, GM would likely be more.

Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:50 pm
Popovitsj
Moon

Post subject: Re: Comparing standard monopoly to GM Reply with quote

trace567 wrote:
GM has the same number of squares as standard monopoly and equally the same 2 standard dice. It is said that on average it takes a player 5 turns to travel fully around the board. Can the same be said of GM do you think?

Since 7 is not only the most probable roll, but also the avarage roll, you will in regular monopoly take 40 / 7 = ~5.71 turn per round. In this GM this number will of course be higher due to the auctions.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:28 pm
trace567

The auctions and returning to start will always alter the predicted number of turns to get around the board. Although I was meaning when these factors are not present, which is mostly the middle stage of the game (in 4/5).

Here's a copied chart of dice probability

Total on dice Pairs of dice Probability
2 1+1 1/36 = 3%
3 1+2, 2+1 2/36 = 6%
4 1+3, 2+2, 3+1 3/36 = 8%
5 1+4, 2+3, 3+2, 4+1 4/36 = 11%
6 1+5, 2+4, 3+3, 4+2, 5+1 5/36 = 14%
7 1+6, 2+5, 3+4, 4+3, 5+2, 6+1 6/36 = 17%
8 2+6, 3+5, 4+4, 5+3, 6+2 5/36 = 14%
9 3+6, 4+5, 5+4, 6+3 4/36 = 11%
10 4+6, 5+5, 6+4 3/36 = 8%
11 5+6, 6+5 2/36 = 6%
12 6+6 1/36 = 3%

Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:20 pm
judd
Planet

this can be performed by using factorials for anyone with a decent level of maths education

Cool

Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:36 am
molecule
Planet

Your math may be accurate but i still roll way more double 6 than double 1

Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:22 am
judd
Planet

molecule wrote:
Your math may be accurate but i still roll way more double 6 than double 1

possible, but the law of averages would state that you are on for a patch of double 1's.

the dice in this game are both mutually exclusive of each other so double 6 or double 1 should be as common as each other at 2.777% of throws.

Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:51 am
theunknownamus

Post subject: The dice can get bent Reply with quote

judd wrote:
this can be performed by using factorials for anyone with a decent level of maths education

Cool

The key term here is probability. Try solving limits then get back to me. Wink

Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:18 pm
judd
Planet

Post subject: Re: The dice can get bent Reply with quote

theunknownamus wrote:
judd wrote:

Cool

like i said, factorials

p.s. on a scientific calculator its the ! (exclamation sign)

Cool

Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:41 pm
theunknownamus

Post subject: Re: The dice can get bent Reply with quote

judd wrote:
theunknownamus wrote:
judd wrote:

Cool

like i said, factorials

p.s. on a scientific calculator its the ! (exclamation sign)

Cool

4! is the equivalent of 4 times 3 times 2 times 1 if I'm not mistaken. However, I suck at math. Laughing

Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:28 am
molecule
Planet

while colors and upgrades may be similiar to monopoly, the cards themselves are unique properties, being objects as compared to land. for example i enjoy having intergalactic motel much more than illinois ave.
or nanobot hospital compared to baltic. i also believe the sets were created
to work together in a way that makes sense. Another plus for GM is the addition of 2 more utilities and instead of railroads we have extractors that add money to the game. One of the greatest differences is that when you open a property evryone has the right to bid on it. while trading is not new, it is set up to be available to all players. another point of difference is the abilty to auction off your own properties. therein lies strategy that only GM has, as far as i know at this time, lol. I believe that these points combined make GM an excellent strategy game as well as a game that can be played for fun. Very Happy

Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:50 pm
trace567

I completely agree mole.

For me monopoly has a very limited scope to develop much of a strategy. Of course there are strategies for monopoly, and depending which version you play there are different rules. But to me it is still very much a game based on dice luck and being a good tradesman.

Where as GM has a much greater ability to develop your own strategies, of which you might well alter from game to game rather than have 1 set way to play. It can vary greatly on who you play, and what their strategies are also. Because there are so many ways to alter your game play, I think this helps so the games do not become so monotonous and lead to boredom.