Galactic Magnate logo  

Forums Home Register FAQ Website  

Forums home Help and Support GM won't download when I click the download link!?
      All times are GMT  

Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:18 pm
tylerjb777
Asteroid

Post subject: GM won't download when I click the download link!? Reply with quote

I go to the GM website and then click the link to download. My system meets all the requirements. When I click the link all of a sudden it just freezes up my computer, and shows the arrow into a timer. Then I have to wait a while until it closes down the tab. Does anyone or any of the moderators know how I can fix this problem? I downloaded this before like 3 days ago on this same computer. Then I restored my computer and downloaded it again and it worked. then my dad took it off. Now I am trying to download it again and it's doing this.

Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:27 pm
trace567

Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tyler

I just checked the download, and it is working here, so it must be a issue on your side.

Can I ask you which browser you are currently using to try and download GM?

It maybe a idea to try using a different one to see if that helps.

Also can you try downloading something (anything) from else where to check if the problem is with all downloads or just GM.

Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:14 pm
tylerjb777
Asteroid

trace567 wrote:
Hi Tyler

I just checked the download, and it is working here, so it must be a issue on your side.

Can I ask you which browser you are currently using to try and download GM?

It maybe a idea to try using a different one to see if that helps.

Also can you try downloading something (anything) from else where to check if the problem is with all downloads or just GM.

I have solved the problem by putting my comptuter in safe mode Trace. Looks like my computer is having a hard time installing programs on normal mode. I will just put it in safe mode for now on to install stuff!

Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:39 am
theunknownamus

Hey Tyler. If your computer is stuck on safe mode in order to work properly, it could be due to low memory. This can happen when programs don't fully close and continue to run some of there processes in the background. In order to completely stop a program, you can go into your windows task manager (displayed a line graph of activity and memory that looks like a sizemograph) to end these. On the "Processes" tab, it will display every single one running. You right click the inactive program and choose to end process. It will typically give a warning prompt that closing processes manually could cause program damage and loss of files in said program, like Internet Explorer. In my experience, this hasn't happened and I've cleared up my memory. Or you could just need more RAM. Hope this helps

Last edited by theunknownamus on Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:16 pm
judd
Planet

theunknownamus wrote:
Hey Tyler. If your computer is stuck on safe mode in order to work properly, it could be due to low memory. This can happen when programs don't fully close and continue to run some of there processes in the background. In order to completely stop a program, you can go into your windows core control or whatever its called (displayed a line graph of activity and memory that looks like a heart monitor) to end these. On the "Processes" tab, it will display every single one running. You right click the inactive program and choose to end process. It will typically give a warning prompt that closing processes manually could cause program damage and loss of files in said program, like Internet Explorer. In my experience, this hasn't happened and I've cleared up my memory. Or you could just need more RAM. Hope this helps

Very helpful josh, i often wonder which you can get away with closing down and which must stay open, any ideas?

thanks in advance

Cool

Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:28 am
trace567

Other possible is programs in the background hogging ram can be because there is too many unwanted and/or unnecessary things booting up with the pc.

By going to Start, then Run type in msconfig

then go to the startup tab

everything ticked in that section boots up with your pc, frequently a lot of programs end up in this list on installing them. So just remove any ticks by those you know you definitely do not want starting with ya comp.

After it will ask if you want to reboot or not. But on the next reboot you will get a window pop up informing you some settings were altered. If you tick the box it will not come up in future.

I'm on xp so vista and windows 7 maybe slightly different.

Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:36 pm
theunknownamus

Great advice Trace. I've actually moved from PC to Mac.

judd wrote:

Very helpful josh, i often wonder which you can get away with closing down and which must stay open, any ideas?

thanks in advance

Cool

There is another program box where MSN customer service told me about. It lists a less detailed list but shows all actual programs running instead of processes. It will have a choice of running just Microsoft core programs (the one your computer must have to operate) and/or others. You can customize for your computers needs.

Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:09 pm
theunknownamus

Post subject: Clarification Reply with quote

WINDOWS TASK MANAGER! That's the name of the seismograph looking application that lets you adjust processes.

Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:32 pm
trace567

Post subject: Re: Clarification Reply with quote

theunknownamus wrote:
WINDOWS TASK MANAGER! That's the name of the seismograph looking application that lets you adjust processes.

ALT CTRL DELETE Very Happy

Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:02 pm
theunknownamus

Post subject: Re: Clarification Reply with quote

trace567 wrote:
theunknownamus wrote:

ALT CTRL DELETE Very Happy

Clever Wink