Galactic Magnate logo  

Forums Home Register FAQ Website  

Forums home Questions & Suggestions user name stealing
      All times are GMT  

Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:01 am
trace567

Post subject: user name stealing Reply with quote

I was wondering if you could place a rule before the new version is launched to just the current users where by nobody can steal another users name, or anything too similar.

I figure from the current system and whatever the new system would have it should be possible to verify if reported that someone stole another's name.

There are people who have been playing this game for years who wish to keep their current identity.

Personally I think a very heavy line needs to be drawn to make sure this doesn't happen.....I would suggest instant ban from the new version if found to of stolen another's name. Also if the ban was not very lengthy they should also lose the 6 months free.

Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:54 am
NewMagnate
Moon

Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, could I ask you to formulate this rule? And we will include this rule in the agreement (which has to be accepted before the starting).

Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:27 pm
Falun
Planetoid

Please,
Suggestions really need to be clearly thought through here guys. Im talking about suggestions that help all on New Magnate and not just the individual.

Is it really fair to ban someone so drastically for simply regestering their Christian name on a internet game they happen to come accross one evening.

There are Thousands and thousands of Tracey, Tracie, Trace, Judes, Johnnys, Nilos out there that have no idea of mad rule we impose or any idea that this name is beleived to be the copyright of a certain individual on here.

Its simply not right at all.
If there is is somone out there that wants to register a name that contains their own Christion or Surname that happens to be similar or the same as another user then why should they be stopped or indead punished for that completely inocent act?

As long as they are not deliberatly saying they are someone else by all means Jude_Robins-4 or a Jude43 or Tracy-S-56 should be the decission of the person playing or registaring to play.

Its one thing to copy a clearly original name like AmbulanceDriver and another to use your God given Christian name.

Please reconsider making silly restrictions for new players that mean unneccessary bans.

Regards
F

Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:18 pm
trace567

I am talking about when the new version becomes open to pretty much just the current user population. Not when it is made fully public.

I am also talking of deliberately stealing another's user name. If for instance the user was indeed brand new to the game (as in not been a user on old gm) this would be possible to find out from the current old GM admin controls.
In which case if a user chose a similar name without prior knowledge then NO they probably wouldn't get punished.
But perhaps it would be possible on the new version for admins to alter, or delete a user name IF a situation arose where someone has taken a user name of another player...deliberately or accidentally.

What can't be allowed is for others to decide to literally take another users identity for a laugh because it will be a new system.

If mods and admin's are wise enough then believe me there will be ways to find out if someone has deliberately stolen anothers identity, or if they have accidentally used a similar name.

Now I own about 30 accounts, I do not expect all of them to be blocked out as my identity. Here my identity is primarily trace567 that is my first ever account, it is my forum name. If someone wanted to be trace111 then of course that cannot be stopped. Maybe they are also called tracy. Thats not a issue.
But the blatant stealing of user name should be punished and very heavily imo.

Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:58 pm
Falun
Planetoid

Lets not go overboard, wasnt that the reason for GMs demise in the first place?

There was a 3 strike system dicussed as a good idea. People that deliberately cause trouble loose a strike till they are banned and removed. Simple method of control and not draconian by any means. Fair to everyone.

People used to beleive it correct and proper to cut of the hands of a child that was caught stealing apples. Thank goodness we have moved on from those days and on the whole we are more tolerant today.

Wink

Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:20 pm
trace567

Who's going overboard?

I am talking of the deliberate and intentional stealing of another users identity.

Sorry but if someone does that deliberately so then they deserve punishment.

Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:46 pm
Falun
Planetoid

yeah silly me,

Its almost like forging someones passport and stealing all the money from their bank then doing a runner to Jamaica...

Yeah lets have a complete ban of that person forever, along with public humiliation and throw in a hand amputation why not..?

Or we could remove a strike, give a warning and delete the name and just get on with life?

Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:31 pm
NewMagnate
Moon

Sorry, I don't see a problem now, at the start of testing we will not have many players and can solve all problems in manual mode (through forum). During the commercial period players can not register login/nick which was registered before. I'm sure that we will have twins of great players - it is reverse side of success Smile. But you can identify real stars by their achievements, rating, level and picture.

Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:38 pm
trace567

Does this mean that anyone could indeed use trace567 as their user name provided they get there first?

Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:59 pm
NewMagnate
Moon

theoretically yes, but if we will detect such mistake, we will resolve this misunderstanding. Do you suspect somebody?

Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:02 pm
trace567

No, although now I brought up the whole topic I've placed myself right in the line of fire if anyone wants to play silly games.

Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:06 pm
NewMagnate
Moon

Please do not worry about that, we will do our best to prevent such cases.